This option is only available on farms where manures are spread. A manure management plan should include the preparation of a field risk map (risk of causing water pollution) and an assessment of the need for any extra slurry or dirty water storage. You can either draw up your own plan or obtain professional advice from a consultant (see appendix 1 for suggested guidance).

A manure management plan must be documented and include the following steps:

  • Identify areas where animal manures should never be spread. These non-spreading areas must be marked on a farm map (in red).
  • Identify areas where animal manures should not be spread under certain conditions or where application rates should be restricted. These very high-risk areas (orange) and high-risk areas (yellow) must be marked on a farm map. The remaining areas must be marked as lower risk (green). Identify on the map any areas in Nitrate Vulnerable Zones affected by the closed (non-spreading) periods.
  • Calculate the minimum area of land needed for spreading animal manures. The maximum field application of total nitrogen from spread manures must be limited to 250 kg per ha per year.
  • Identify the area of land that may be used for spreading sewage sludge or other organic wastes. This step is not required if these materials are not brought on to the farm.
  • Assess whether extra storage is needed for slurry or dirty water. Use the risk map (coloured map) and your experience of spreading over the winter period to identify whether extra storage is needed to minimise the risk of causing water pollution.
  • Update the risk map if you take on extra land.
  • Update the storage assessment if slurry or dirty water production increases.
  • Use the plan to help you with field spreading and minimise the risk of causing pollution.

A manure management plan completed for other schemes (such as a farm assurance scheme or LEAF) will count as a manure management plan under this option, providing it includes all the requirements described above.

EM3, 2 points per ha. This must be based on the area of land excluding unimproved land (as identified on your Farm Environment Record).